North Park has an annual tradition of publishing student poetry, short prose, photography and other works of art. Almost every year since 1930 the magazine first called Pegasus and now called the North Branch is written, edited and published by students. The tradition started on March 28, 1930 when the North Park College News announced a new “all-school”poets’ club with the official name the “Pegasus Club” inviting all who desire to contribute original work to select a pen-name for their productions. The club published an annual anthology of creative writing from 1930 through the 1940s. Cover art in the 1930s featuring the winged horse was provided by well-known Covenant portrait artist Warner Sallman.
During the 1930s readings were held campus on the subjects of ballads, contemporary trends in French poetry, and classical poetry. Celebrated American poet Carl Sandburg visited campus in 1936 for a large event and returned to meet with the Pegasus Club in April 1944.
By 1950, the Pegasus literary annual was edited and published by Sigma Nu Pi, the pre-journalism group at North Park. Contributions ranged from nonsense limericks to poems and prose on more serious subjects.
In addition to poetry and prose, the 35th issue of Pegasus (1964 at right) featured images of oil paintings, linoleum cuts and sculptures from the art department, as well as contributions from the music department.
After a five year absence, the campus literary publication was reinvented as the North Branch in the spring of 1975. Published by the English department the new magazine was sold at 50¢ a copy. In order to encourage submissions copies of the American Heritage Dictionary were awarded to the two best works. The early issues of the North Branch featured photography and art work as well as poetry, essays, short stories, and short poetic prose works. Most issues featured student art work on the cover. By 1981 submissions and awards were overseen the Division of Humanities. To encourage submissions for the spring 1983 issue the editorial board invited alumni and faculty to participate.
During North Park’s lean years in the late 1980s funding was drastically cut throughout campus and the 1989 issue of the North Branch barely made it to print. A strong student interest in the publication caught the attention of President Horner and funding was restored. As a result the editorial board was able to promise a free copy to every student and faculty member.
North Branch 1981 left
The North Branch has remained under the umbrella of Student Association – now CLASS – sponsorship. Both Pegasus and the North Branch have been pamphlet sized magazines averaging 70 pages in length. The 2012 issue was released on April 16 with a poetry reading in the Brandel Library Gallery where you can now view an exhibit of past cover art.
North Branch 1996 right
below 1989, 2007 and 2012